Morning, Beaverton! Let’s get you started this Wednesday with everything you need to know going on today in Beaverton.
First, today’s weather:
Cold with partial sunshine. High: 31 Low: 17.
Here are the top stories in Beaverton today:
- Hear from professionals regarding getting around town through the icy conditions over at KPTV.com. Beaverton Towing owner Jean Underwood recommends staying home if you can, especially if your vehicle isn’t outfitted with traction devices. And City of Hillsboro Public Works Assistant Director Tina Bailey says that if a street looks wet, then it’s safe to assume it’s icy. Click over to the article for more tips.
- Get the latest update on the December 2021 snowstorm from Washington County government at the Press Release Desk. The agency notes that though the County’s parking facilities are open in downtown Hillsboro, employees and the public should use caution when traveling. Workers are making progress clearing roadways and parking lots of ice and snow.
- Kelcie Grega shares the latest on how the Beaverton School District is handling the pandemic. Although BSD was planning on removing some restrictions when kids go back to school in January, the omicron variant has led officials to continue sticking to low exertion activities in PE and limiting singing and wind instruments in music classes. Officials also anticipate changing quarantine policies. (Pamplin Media Group, click here for free access via your WCCLS card; click here if you have a paid subscription)
- Get some inspiration from Brian Libby’s list of the best regional architecture of the year. The Patricia Reser Center, designed by Opsis Architecture and set to open early next year, received a shoutout for “smart place-making.” The LeBron James Innovation Center at the Nike World Campus may just be the Metro area’s most impressive structure to come out of 2021. (click here for free access via your WCCLS card; click here if you have a paid subscription) ,
- Beaverton High School boys basketball showed that they’re worthy of some respect with their early-season win against Central Catholic at the Les Schwab Invitational on Monday, December 27. The team was down 15 with just six minutes left but rallied to win over the Rams by 2. The Beavers came into the season unranked in a coaches poll. (scorebooklive.com)
Today’s Beaverton Daily is brought to you in part by our friends at GoodRx — the best way to save money on your prescriptions. GoodRx helps you locate the lowest prices for medications at local pharmacies, so you’re not overpaying. Works for pet medications too! To see how much you can save, go to GoodRx.com.
- Beaverton City Government asks folks to use caution when traveling and report road conditions to Public Works at 503-526-2220 and after hours to 503-526-2261. (Facebook)
- Oregon Road Runners Club – ORRC: “Due to poor travel and weather conditions the ORRC Y2K ‘Ralph’s Run’ has been moved to Saturday January 8, 2022.” Click the link to find out more. (Facebook)
- Check out the lineup for Beaverton Symphony’s Winter Western Concert, featuring Copland, Williams and Elmer Bernstein, scheduled for January 14 & 16. Might be an opportunity to break out that cowboy hat! (Instagram)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Loving the Beaverton Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
- Send a friend or neighbor this link so they can subscribe
- Get your local business listed in front of readers
- Send me a news tip or suggestion at email@example.com
Now you’re in the loop and ready to head out the door on this Wednesday! See you tomorrow for your next update.
— Ash DeMello