The role and person
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Development Manager in the East of England, where you’ll be all about effective project management and delivery of Accent’s development programme in line with the organisations policies and procedures, whilst demonstrating our values and behaviours.
As a Development Manager, key responsibilities include:
- Dealing with new development schemes from inception to completion, including final accounts and ensuring that they are delivered on time and in budget.
- Responsible for managing the delivery of a programme of schemes ensuring the required target of new homes within your programme are delivered each year contributing towards the wider organisational objective for new homes.
- Ensuring that new development schemes comply with all Homes England and Accent’s audit requirements.
- Liaising with internal stakeholders on all aspects of the development project.
- Complying with all Homes England programme management processes as directed by the Development Programme Manager and ensuring that all key milestones are notified and recorded appropriately.
- Continually monitoring developments to ensure costs, quality and timescales are achieved at the key approval stage.
- Handing over completed properties to the Customer Experience, Sales/Homeownership, Property Services teams and ensuring they are fully aware of all aspects of the properties.
- Assisting the Assistant Development Director/Senior Development Project Manager (ADD/SDPM) in identifying new business opportunities which meets the Development and Growth Strategy.
- Assisting the ADD/SDPM in acquisition of land and property to facilitate future development or the acquisition of completed new properties.
- Assisting where necessary, with option appraisals of redundant or obsolete stock as directed, drawing conclusions, making recommendations, as well as assisting with disposal of land/assets or any refurbishments.
- Commissioning of suitably qualified consultants and contractors to facilitate the development process.
- Ensuring the procurement process is compliant and robust and meets all of our procurement rules, including value for money.
- Ensuring that all capital projects are carefully monitored and recorded, and cash flows / Sequel are updated on a regular basis.
- Complying with the Groups Component Accounting procedures.
- Contributing to the production and maintenance of Accent’s procedures. Ensuring policies and procedures and working practices are efficient and up to date.
- Preparing reports and papers for the Executive Team, Capital Investment Committee, and Board as required.
- Undertaking customer satisfaction surveys and feed results back into the Design and Technical brief as appropriate.
- Engage in cross department working arrangements to ensure smooth transition of schemes from on-site to in management. This will include collating service charge information, handover documentation, Gas Capping Risk Assessments, and other compliance information.
- Assist the ADD/SDPM in, making offers, in accordance with the approved parameters, on new opportunities, purchasing land and agreeing legal documents, letting contracts, securing planning permissions and contract management.
- Responsible for ensuring cash-flows, financial spend and modelling are accurate and up to date. You will be responsible for ensuring an agreed annual budget within your control is managed, spent, and accurately forecast. This will include authorising invoices in line with our standing orders on approved schemes, recording spend and monitoring others.
- Responsible for communicating progress of development projects within your control across the business. This will include delivery of new developments across multiple financial years.
- Ensuring data relevant to your programme and team is at all times up-to-date, accurate and compliant with audit requirements.
The must haves
- Experience in relation to the role and/or suitably qualified.
- Experience of managing projects and processes, including management of contractors and consultants.
- Understanding of generic project management software’s such as Sequel.
- Knowledge and understanding of Project Management approaches and methodologies.
- Management of budgets and cost control.
- Understanding of central and local Government policy related to housing, and potential implications for Accent.
- Understanding of contractual aspects of the development and asset management process.
- Experience of risk management and ability to identify risks and methods of mitigation.
- Be commercially aware.
- Competent IT user, with knowledge of the development appraisal and monitoring tools.
- Have an understanding and awareness of Construction Health & Safety.
- Access to own vehicle with a valid driving licence.
At Accent we’re a keen promoter of agile working and encourage the use of working from home as our new way forward. We’ll provide you with the equipment and software that you’ll need for the purpose of your role however it will be your responsibility to have an appropriate space to work from as well as a suitable broadband connection/provider.
Should you wish to work occasionally from any of our regional offices, you may do so on a hot desk basis which will need to be arranged via our online booking system.
The spot salary for this post is £47,470 per annum for applicants who fully meet the requirements of the post. Applicants, who do not meet all of the requirements of the post, will start 5% or 10% below the spot salary.
This post will also receive a car allowance of £1,250 per annum.
- 28 days paid holiday per year rising by 1 day per year up to a maximum of one working week
- Option to purchase additional holiday of up to 2 of your working weeks (at managers discretion)
- Cycle Scheme
- Learning & Development opportunities
- Employee Assistance Programme
- A choice of salary based contributory pension schemes, a defined benefit scheme or a defined contribution scheme, each offering life assurance cover
Who are Accent?
We own almost 20,000 houses across the North, East and South of the country.
They are home to over 35,000 customers. We exist to improve lives, providing people with high quality homes, affordably. Whatever their housing need, whether family, single, older or more vulnerable – our customers come first. They are always at the very heart of our business.
If you feel great about delivering excellent services to customers, then we feel great about you joining the Accent team.
And we are a team. We live and breathe our values – we are smart, we are driven, we are caring, and we are inclusive – are you? If you can do what’s right and challenge what you think is wrong, relish the opportunity to work with some fabulous colleagues to improve the customer experience and make sure we keep to our promises, then you are the person we are looking for.
Come and join us and start your own journey with Accent. We aim to be number one, and you could help us get there.
We’re always looking to improve diversity within our teams and across Accent so we would welcome any applications from any underrepresented groups. Please note, due to the nature of this role, there may be occasions where you need to travel to our offices.