Good morning New York City and happy Earth Day! Check out today’s events section for lots of fun ways to reconnect with nature today. There’s even more planned for tomorrow, so stay tuned.
First, today’s weather:
Mostly sunny. High: 68 Low: 48.
Are you a local business owner or marketer? We can help you effortlessly run effective ads that reach customers in New York City. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top five stories in New York City today:
- An NYPD cop, from Queens’s 105th precinct, will face up to eight years in prison for bribery and corruption charges. Robert Smith, who once bragged about being “the most corrupt cop” in Queens, “sold out his badge,” according to a prosecutor, who brought the case against him and two accomplices. (New York City Patch)
- Delivery workers in New York City will gain new protections today as a new law goes into effect, giving them more discretion over which orders they choose to accept and where they travel. The law affects 65,000 workers. (New York City Patch)
- An unidentified man was hit and killed by a northbound 2 train at 125th Street in Harlem at around 4 p.m. on Thursday, one day after two homeless men were killed by a train in Brooklyn. (New York City Patch)
- Astoria, Queens is a hot bed for new real estate development right now. Recently, the local Community Board approved a 1,300-unit mid-rise apartment complex along the East River. Another five-block proposed development, Innovation Qns, has been the cause of opposition from community members who worry it could cause displacement and gentrification. (New York City Patch)
- New York City’s first-ever Japanese parade is coming to the Upper West Side on May 14, featuring Star Trek actor George Takei. This year marks the 150th anniversary of the Japanese mission to the United States. (New York City Patch)
New York City pic of the day:
Submit a photo from your neighborhood to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to be featured!
From our sponsor:
Today’s newsletter is brought to you in part by Ring, a Patch Brand Partner. Getting some spring cleaning tasks done? Why not refresh your home’s security, too. Secure windows, doors, and more with up to $80 off on select Alarm Pro Kits. Don’t wait, offers end 5/1 at 9 p.m. PST.
Today in New York City:
- WEBINAR: Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG) Investing: Incorporating Values into Portfolios (12 p.m.)
- New York International Antiquarian Book Fair, Upper East Side (12 p.m.)
- Earth Day Build the Canopy in Hell’s Kitchen (1 p.m.)
- Earth Day Social – Clean Bushwick Initiative (6:30 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- The cherry blossoms are blooming in the Brooklyn Botanic Garden today! (Instagram)
- Every day is Earth Day in Central Park! (Instagram)
- Bayside is now “suburban Astoria” according to an online real estate listing, which compared the two neighborhood’s waterfront views and single-family homes. Queens residents, do you agree? (New York City Patch)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- WEBINAR: Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG) Investing: Incorporating Values into Portfolios (April 22)
- Success Academy Bronx 4, Virtual Information Session (April 22)
- 4/22-23 Earth Day Build the Canopy in Hell’s Kitchen (April 22)
- 50% off Discount tickets – Friars Club Comedy Night (April 22)
- NYC Friday Taurus Midnight Yacht Party Cruise at Skyport Marina Jewel (April 22)
- Home Furniture & Office Furniture Liquidation Sale (April 23)
- Earth Day Events 4/22-23 to Foster Our Tree Canopy in Hell’s Kitchen (April 23)
- OHM Center’s Free Book Event: A Story of Karma with Michael Schauch (April 23)
- NYC Hip Hop vs Reggae® Saturday Midnight Cruise Skyport Marina Jewel Yacht (April 23)
- 2022 Harlem Culture Crawl – Architecture, Historic Houses, Museums, Art Openings, Performances (April 24)
- 2022 NYC Virtual Kindergarten Fair (April 25)
- Learn to Make and Sell Your Own Essential Oil Blends (April 25)
- African American Communities and Gentrification: Strategies for Change (April 25)
- The Indie Collaborative Celebrates Earth Day at Carnegie Hall (April 25)
- National Hug A Plumber Day (April 25)
- Meet Your Neighbor Dinner: Earth Day (April 26)
- How to read a DEXA scan (April 27)
- Yom HaShoah Commemoration (April 27)
- Building Empathy in a Fractured World (April 27)
- Success Academy Prospect Heights, Virtual Information Session (April 28)
- Amazing Grace: Vy Higgenson’s Sing Harlem Choir (April 29)
- Spanish for Beginners Adult Class- Get FREE Assessment & Demo (May 3)
- Dr. Michal Szostak, Organist from Poland, on North America Tour (May 4)
- Urban Assembly SEL Symposium 2022 (Virtual) (May 5)
- ADINA E “BE YOURSELF – Even Moms Can Live Their Dreams (May 7)
- Mother’s Day Hike in Central Park (May 8)
- Attend a free speech about NY personal injury lawyers’ benefits (May 21)
- Add your event
Loving the New York City Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
You’re all caught up for today. I’ll see you soon!
— Dashiell Allen